Cutting through the barren, lifeless desert, and through lush farmland, the River Nile flows past some of Egypt's most spectacular and well preserved ancient temples and tombs. This tour uses one of Egypt's famous luxury Nile Cruiseboats (5-star deluxe level) and sails up and down this great river between Luxor and Aswan, allowing you to experience the wonders of ancient Egypt as you go, and enjoy all the comfort and luxury that modern Egypt has to offer.
Note: We run this tour with one of our own Egyptologist guides accompanying you on the boat. All the sightseeing tours are done with our own transport and guide - you will not be joining one of the large boat groups for these tours.
You start your cruise in Luxor with a visit to the temples of Luxor and Karnak on the East bank of the Nile. You also have some time to explore the town and bazaars of Luxor itself, and stroll up and down the banks of the river.
Surrounded by the sumptuous surroundings of the cruise boat you slowly make your way up river. You can relax by the pool and watch the world go by during the day, and dine and enjoy traditional Egyptian entertainment by night. En route south to the beautiful town of Aswan you will stop to tour the ancient temples of Esna and Edfu.
Aswan is situated on the banks of the cascading waters of the Nile, just below Lake Nasser. Here you can relax and watch myriad feluccas sail lazily around the many small islands or experience traditional Egyptian life with a stroll along the mazy streets of the town's colourful bazaar. We take you on a visit to the island temple of Philae and you have the option of a flight or drive out to Abu Simbel, with its remarkable temple to Ramses II, before continuing your cruise back down the Nile towards Luxor, stopping to tour Komombo temple en-route.
Back in Luxor you take a tour to the Pharaonic tombs in the Valleys of the Kings as well as the cliff-side Temple of Hatchepsut and the Colossi of Memnon.
Your tour ends in Luxor with a transfer to the airport for your flight home.
- All accommodation as stated in the itinerary on 5-star deluxe cruiseboat
- All transport and transfers in private AC vehicles
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Sightseeing tours as detailed in the itinerary
- Services of a local Egyptologist guide for all the sightseeing tours
- Entrance fees to sites visited
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- International flights (available on request)
- Visa fees (USD 25 available on arrival for most nationalities)
- Travel Insurance (mandatory, available on request)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Tipping kitty (allow US$45)
- Drinks, snacks and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Tour guide tips
- Hotel Gala Dinners (if charged by the hotels on 24 & 31 Dec, see Tour notes)
- Any other items not mentioned above
Hotel Gala Dinners
Many of Egypt's hotels and Nile cruise boats arrange a very special gala dinner with entertainment in the evening on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Payment for these is often optional on Christmas Eve (24 Dec) but may be compulsory on New Year's Eve (31 Dec), whether you attend or not. Prices can range from around US$50 to over US$150 per person. Final decisions on prices and whether dinners are compulsory are made relatively close to the time. We aim to always select hotels that make their Gala Dinners optional, though this is is not always possible. Gala dinner prices are therefore not included in our prices above, but will be added to your booking if they become required. More information is available on request.